An apparent split emerged within the federal government on Tuesday over the Supreme Court’s order concerning former prime minister Imran Khan, with Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar saying the government would seek a review, while Parliamentary Affairs Minister Tariq Fazal maintained that the government would honor the court’s instructions.
The Supreme Court had ordered Imran’s transfer to a private hospital for treatment following a hearing on a medical board report and a report submitted by the Adiala jail superintendent on Monday. Those reports recommended more frequent meetings between the PTI founder and his immediate family, including his wife, to help manage his blood pressure and anxiety, while also flagging broader concerns about his health.
Tarar described the Supreme Court’s order directing Imran’s transfer to Shifa International Hospital for treatment as being “beyond the legal parameters,” saying the government had decided to approach the court seeking a review and appropriate modification of the order in line with the law.
In a video statement, Tarar said consultations had been held on certain aspects of the order relating to jail authorities and the Islamabad administration, including the direction for Imran to undergo a medical check-up at Shifa International Hospital within two days. “After reviewing the law, the authorities are of the view that this order does not fall within the legal parameters governing the facilities that can be provided to a convicted person in jail under the law,” he said.
He added that the government had therefore proposed approaching the Supreme Court through a review petition, requesting an appropriate modification of the order so that Imran could instead be examined at a tertiary-care government hospital.









